Formerly SpringBlog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Can't Get Away


      I’m sitting in a cabin in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for a weekend vacation with friends. As soon as we arrived to our cabin, which is located in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, with an AMAZING view, beautiful weather, and many fun things to do, the only thing I thought was: There’s NO internet access?
There are six of us in this cabin, and three of us were devastated to find that there is no way to access the internet from this cabin. I mean, we all needed the internet for school reasons, because at this point I could care less if I could log on to facebook. Also it helps that I have a droid phone, and I can post on facebook without wifi. And luckily this phone is allowing me to post this blog on time for class. But this realization made me feel a little queasy. How could we get along in life without internet?
      I came to this cabin with my friends for a vacation away. And instead I’ve been stressing about the internet access. How am I going to do my homework? How am I going to have time to write this out on a cell phone? What if I wouldn’t have dished out the money to buy a smart phone? My mistake was I had automatically assumed that there was going to be internet access UP IN THE MOUNTAINS. Not my smartest moment. But with internet access being available in planes now, I guess it wasn’t too much of a leap to think it would be up in the mountains. It made me realize that I expect technology to be at my fingertips whenever I need it. Instead of me using the internet, this time, the internet used me. This weekend was supposed to be a getaway, and instead I’ve been trying to convince some of my friends to go to a restaurant and sit with me while I used their wifi. Not only did this remind me of Morville’s Chapter 1, when he discusses the uses of smart phones, when he says “I’m sitting on a beach in Newport, but I’m not entirely there. My attention is focused on a device that rests in the palm of my hand.” Which rings very true to me right now. I am sitting in an amazing cabin with my best friends, and I am stressing about the internet. Here’s my blog about a real experience that proves my addiction to the internet, and how you cannot escape it, even when you are trying your best to.

1 comment:

  1. This is actually really funny because I spent half of my spring break at Big Bear Mountain in California and one of my first thoughts was, "Will I have connection to post a picture to Twitter?"

    ReplyDelete