Formerly SpringBlog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Are We Too Connected Online?

After reading the first part of Chapter 1 in Here Comes Everybody, the website Evan made about Sasha loosely reminded me of the website Juicy Campus. The story showed us how easily it is to put any information on the internet and how fast it seems to travel to an abundance of people. In the story of the cell phone, the information out there worked out for the best, but what about the other cases?

If you're a college student, you remember Juicy Campus, which is now known as CollegeACB. It is a website where anyone can post absolutely any information about any person they want anonymously. Almost 100 % of the time the information posted on this website is not flattering information to say the least. The things people can post on this website can ruin peoples lives and their reputations. So is it a good thing that we can post basically anything on the internet about anyone? In my opinion, no. I think the internet makes us too connected. In the story about the missing cell phone, that is awesome Ivanna was able to get her phone back, but in all reality it is a little scary how much information they were able to find out about Sasha and then post online for the world to see.

In my opinion we are too connected online.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of Juicy Campus, but honestly had pretty much forgotten all about it until you mentioned it. I've never actually gone to the website to view the "information" being posted. Just because the information is online does not mean that everyone is viewing that webpage. People post unflattering information on Facebook and Twitter all the time, having a website devoted to gossip doesn't surprise me. I don't see that as being connected online; I view that as poor discretion and invalid gossip.

    In my opinion being connected online means staying in touch with friends in family but utilizing social networking capabilities. Also, I see being connected online as meeting new people through social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, or even online dating sites such as Match.com or eHarmony.

    ReplyDelete