Formerly SpringBlog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Where's my map?!


I think I have come to a conclusion as to why I’m not crazy about hyperfiction and multimedia literature.

I was just reading the Preface to Peter Morville’s book Ambient Findability. He tells the reader that the “book should be read in linear style from start to end.” Then he adds, “You should not need a map.” Aha! I thought about that for a moment and decided that was what hyperfiction and multimedia literature are missing—a map!


A map would still allow me to interact with the literature, but it would serve as a guide or even a reference for when I get lost. I’m all for an adventure. In fact, my family and I love to get in the car and explore other places. Or we put on our hiking shoes and explore the forests around the Midwest. But whether we’re in the car or on a trail, we have a map. It provides guidance along the way. We want to make sure we find all the great spots in a town or in a forest. Without a map, how would we know? I’d hate to visit a beautiful national park or forest and find out after we returned home that we failed to see the most spectacular sights the park had to offer. With a map, I feel more confident that I’ve seen those sights.


With hyperfiction and multimedia literature, clicking hyperlink after hyperlink leaves me feeling lost in the woods. Granted, some of the readings provide a little guidance, but many, such as Twelve Blue and Deviant, leave us on our own, not knowing whether we’ve missed something.


If I only had a map . . .


2 comments:

  1. I can't help but agree with you, especially in regards to hyperfiction. I feel the story would be more easier to navigate if there was some sort of guidance, or a map. Otherwise I too get lost, and I don't handle 'lost' that well.

    But I also feel that the purpose of these works is to find a path on our own, which seems pretty evident through some of the stories. But in contrast, I also feel if I have missed a significant part of the picture. It's a tough situation, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're exactly right. It would be great if some of these works had some sort of map or index. I know I would certainly be able to enjoy them more. As I said in class, I don't think I should have to work more at figuring out how to navigate the story than analyzing what the story really means.

    I understand that the point of some of these works is that everyone finds their own way through them and has their own interpretation because of that, but I don't think having a map would detract from that.

    The people who are frustrated by the lack of order can find a more linear path and the people who like exploring the work more can click around wherever they want to. Regardless, everyone is likely to form a different opinion based on their own beliefs and experiences.

    ReplyDelete