Formerly SpringBlog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gridding Systems applied to our Practice Websites.

In the spirit of creating websites, I am doing my best apply these grid systems to my website. 

I consider myself an avid user of organization. I love things to look neat, clean, and easy to read/navigate. When it comes to a web page I like to use the "philosophy"of "less is more." That being said, I don't believe that the single-column grid style is the most effective way to convey information on a website. 
As I've said time and time again, reading online information is not my forte. When information is presented in a similar fashion to the grid system above, I don't believe that it is possible to really grasp and hold the readers attention. You want to WOW the viewer and make them want to stay connected to what you are trying to say.


In order to obtain a readers attention, I think it is most effective to break the information up into smaller sections. It makes the information look less intimidating and time consuming. A great way to do that would be to implement a multi column grid into the web page.


The example above only has one column in the middle and another one to the far-right. This isn't the only way in which breaking up text can be done, but it could be a good place to start.


I think we should consider ways to implement grid systems into our websites in order to make them more appealing to our audience. You can also break up text with URL's, pictures, or quotes. These are just some things to keep in mind as we work on our practice sites. 

Here is my website. If you have any feedback to offer, I am all ears.

1 comment:

  1. I think making the grids more organized would be good for attracting more people. I hate the simplistic styles of single-column grid as well, I think it looks like someone didn't take enough time to be more creative.
    Your website looks very nice by the way.

    ReplyDelete