Formerly SpringBlog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Attempting" To Read Twelve Blue by Michael Joyce

I know we were told to keep an open mind while reading this story, but I was just finding it hard to make any kind of connections to anything.

First off, the text, in my opinion was extremely difficult to read in the first place simply because of the fact that it was blue on blue text. "It will not be like a standard fiction-reading experience," was an understatement. Concentrating on how to navigate yourself to the next page of text made it extremely difficult to focus on the story at hand. I was mindlessly reading the passage while, really, what my mind was concentrated on, was how I was going to get myself to the next part.

I regret to say, that I really did not grasp the story whatsoever. I don't know if there was just something I was missing, and I made this assignment way more difficult than it is intended, or if it really just was that complicated to understand. I'm not even entirely sure I read to whole story, let alone, read it in the correct sequence. I would go back to read a certain passage that I wasn't really clear on, but I would only then take myself back to a page that was missing texts that was originally there, or just back to a different page completely. So it seemed that once you left a page, you couldn't go back to it?

I found the other story set up in this format just as difficult. My attention was totally taken away from the story. All of my thoughts were devoted on figuring out how and why the story was set up and put together in such a fashion.

Again, maybe it's just me and my lack of techy skills, or maybe the fact that I find it extremely difficult to read ANYTHING online. Who knows? I don't really understand the point of creating and reading narratives set up in such a way, so if I am missing some divine meaning or purpose, someone, please, feel free to fill me in..

No comments:

Post a Comment