Formerly SpringBlog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Can't Help But Notice

While looking for websites to hyperlink from my blog, I couldn't help but notice the text and grid styles of each website. Some sites distracted me from my work while others were so horrendous I barely glanced at them. The image of well made sites invited me in and caused me to spend hours looking at the pictures and reading the posts or stories. Even if the information on the site was of little or no help to my assignment, I was attracted to how it looked. But no matter how important or worthy the information on the poorly made site was, I could not bring myself to read over everything.

Here are a few examples:

I needed a picture of a map of the continental United States. The map I found was perfect, the website not so much.

The information on the site meant nothing to me (it was for a bonds company) but the entire site, all of which is shown here, seemed unprofessional. Everything is left aligned, the font was small, the hierarchy did little to direct the user's attention and the site was boring.

And then I found this site, a blog about unique travel destinations. I didn't end up using any of the images here, but I did spend about an hour looking at the pictures and reading the posts.

This blog was made for easy reading. The title at the top and then for each country gives an easy to understand hierarchy, while the two columns allow for easy access of either the post or past writings. The spacing doesn't seem too big or too small. And the use of external and internal hyperlinks, as well as bold words, shows what is important in each section.

I am not use to critiquing websites this much--either they had what I needed and looked semi-professional or they didn't. But after reading Lupton's book, I see these aspects in everything I read now. And while her book may just seem like any other text book we have read, I have to wonder if noticing these details, and not just informing, was her primary goal.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to noticing different grid styles while surfing the web. Websites similar to the first one you posted can be very frustrating. You would think with all of the resources we have available to us that more websites would be more appeasing to the eye. I sometimes like to believe that simple websites that lack grid organization were created before we had all the tools we are lucky to have access to now. If not, I am a little concerned. I mean- it doesn't take much effort or technological knowledge to have a well organized web page (I'm learning that more as I am working on my own website). Overall, good input. Thanks for sharing!

    Diana Neff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this. If i see an unorganized site i automatically question the credibility of the source. It's a shame because these people have the opportunity to make their voice heard, but just as you wouldn't show up to an interview in jeans, your site should be well kept as well. We're very visual and i guess we tend to judge on the outside before getting to know what lies inside.

    ReplyDelete