Formerly SpringBlog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Frustrated with Hyperficton?

I started reading the two hyperfiction stories we were assigned a few days ago with a relatively open mind. I understood that it was not at all like my beloved books, but I was not prepared for the confusion and nonlinear structure I found in the two works.

I had never encountered works like these before probably because hyperfiction as Ruth Nestvold and Jay Lake say is “still highly exotic and largely unknown” (http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10174). It is rarely taught in classrooms because it is so different and in my opinion largely off-putting to the average reader. It is not at all surprising to me that “hyperfiction and its multimedia successors remain as much a fringe phenomenon as they were fifteen years ago—if not more so” (Nestvold and Lake). There is not much of an audience for hypertext works. Most people either don’t read very much and would never take the time to read something like “Charmin’ Cleary” or “Twelve Blue” or they are so used to the easy to understand and much more linear books and internet sites that reject the idea of hyperfiction completely.

In the author’s note for “Charmin’ Cleary,” Ed Falco says that the work is an "attempt to rein in hypertext, at least for a moment, to see what sort of tricks might be accomplished with a tighter hold.” After reading the hypertext, I found this statement to be laughable. If that was hyperfiction reined in, then how difficult to understand and follow would hyperfiction be when it was not as contained?

I found out, when I read the next work, “Twelve Blue.” I was even more confused than when I was reading “Charmin’ Cleary.” I could not figure out where to click or who was talking. I was even having trouble figuring out what they were saying and what Michael Joyce wanted us to get from his story. It was incredibly frustrating for me and I’m sure for many other readers.

So my question is: will hyperfiction ever become popular? As more and more information can be accessed on the internet, will the way we think be changed enough that more people can tolerate this type of storytelling? I know I’m not there yet, but I’m probably closer than I was a few years ago so it could happen. Will hyperfiction become the new, preferred way to tell stories?

3 comments:

  1. I didn't like the hyperfiction either. I thought it was confusing, but at the same time, it reminded me of flashbacks in shows like CSI, where we don't have the story at the beginning and it slowly pieces itself together throughout the hour. At least, that worked for Charmin' Cleary. Twelve Blue was so confusing. I couldn't work any of it. In answer to your question, I don't think hyperfiction will become popular. When people read on the internet, they want things very straightforward so they can get the information and get out. We're a very linear people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it because it was so different, but I didn't get anything out of it. I couldn't tell if I was reading it correctly, or if there was in fact a storyline. I kind of took it as being abstract and accepted it as that. I would never read it for enjoyment, though. But I think in society we are looking to head down a road where a lot of our information will look like hyperfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually not that impressed. I thought it was going to be alot different and more surreal than what it was. I think the authors that do the hyperfiction stories should be congratulated, but I've read multiple books and especially books of poetry from characters or from a stance that is out of order, or 'unreliable', sorta trippy, etc

    ReplyDelete